Temple Or Rishon knows how important it is for our adolescents to be active in Jewish Life. We have many opportunities for pre- and post- B'nai Mitzvah to stay connected to the Jewish community. Teens have options when it comes to how they stay involved, from confirmation classes to youth group. TOR's youth group TASTY, and junior youth group TASTYBites both offer exciting activities to participate in throughout the year.
Young people in 8th through 12th grades can become members of TASTY. They will engage in parties, trips, mitzvah projects, concerts, pool parties, overnight events, and all kinds of fun. TASTY is a members-led organization so teens have the opportunity to create and lead their own programming. The group is led by a seven-person board of directors who work together with the help of an advisor to plan events in which they want to come. Being in TASTY means belonging to the larger national community of North American Federation of Temple Youth, otherwise known as NFTY. TASTY members can travel to other congregations and Camp Newman five times throughout the year to meet other Jewish teens.
Sixth and Seventh graders have a similar youth group designed just for them. This group meets bi-monthly and focuses mostly on social life. Teens in this group will look forward to programs from rock climbing to bowling, pool parties and museum outings.
The goals of our youth programs are to:
1. Foster social interaction among teens in the synagogue,
2. Cultivate social interaction among teens from other synagogues in the area,
3. Develop social action programs for youth within the synagogue community and opportunities to make change in the secular community
4. Facilitate trips to places of Jewish and general interest
5. Create leadership positions for Jewish teens to develop life skills
6. Instill a lifelong love for Judaism