We are a spirited and spiritual community of people whose lives are enriched by our connection to Judaism and to one another. For nearly 30 years, we've gathered in the eastern Sacramento valley to learn, celebrate, pray and grow together.
We are newly-weds and empty-nesters, toddlers and elders, doubters and the devout. We are the non-Jewish partners and the newcomers to Judaism; we're those revisiting the comfort of our childhood rituals and those searching for something that might have been missing since then.
We are teachers and students. In one of the area's largest religious schools facilitated by our outstanding professional educational director, we challenge our children and teens to develop their own individual Jewish identities with the knowledge and character that will serve them throughout their lives inside and the Jewish community and beyond.
We find our connections through Torah, study, exploring our experiences of the divine; some through a brief and interesting sermon, a familiar melody or a quick chat with a friend – new or old; some through the fellowship of our Men's Club and their monthly poker games, Women of Or Rishon, the planning of an awesome Purim Carnival, and some simply in the shared pleasure of a really great corned beef on fresh rye bread.
We invite you to join us. Whether for a single Shabbat service or to find your place within our vibrant and diverse family which you can consider your Jewish "home," we welcome you here at Temple Or Rishon.
We welcome our guests and celebrate our simchas, we visit our sick and we mourn with our bereaved, we stand with the State of Israel and we care for our planet.
- TOR was established in 1983 as Sunrise Jewish Congregation.
- We celebrated the opening of our current Temple site in 2000.
- Our current school facilities opened on our site in 2004.
- We currently enjoy a membership or more than 250 families.
- We are proud members of the Union for Reform Judaism.
- We are devoted to enriching the spiritual lives and Jewish experiences of our community.
- We are committed to the cooperation between and mutual support of all Jewish institutions.